Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Charlotte's Guangzhou Tips-Shamian Island

Charlotte's Guangzhou Tips-Shamian Island
March 02, 2008

This should be fun :) I have people ask me all the time about China. I guess because I advocate for the kids and China has become near and dear to my heart because of our adoption. Here are frequent questions I get, feel free to email me with more and I'll post them too. :)

Where to stay? We stayed at the Victory across the Bank of China, the rooms are cheaper and much nicer than the White Swan. Our room was so nice we literally thought they gave us the wrong room!

Travel arrangements: we had the best deals through http://www.sunshinetravelusa.com/

Where to exchange money: Ok, the Bank of China is supposed to have the best rates but get ready to stand in line at least two hours (that including one hour of waiting before they open), once you get the big transfers done, I'd suggest doing most of it at the ATM's at the White Swan, they have English as an option and they're right by the guard at the door so it feels safe
Where to have laundry done? Jennifer's, close to the other Victory (I'd suggest bringing lots of under garments if you travel in late Spring to Fall, it's extremely humid, I would sweat through clothes on the walk to breakfast, I know, yuck! lol)

Where to eat? Lucy's of course (have the sweet and sour chicken) and the Cow Bridge (I lived off steamed rice and chicken there, soooo good!)

People to see: Go visit Jordan, he loves meeting the families and will do your child's name in Chinese characters for free for you. Tell him the big 'tattooed rock star looking' guy from the summer and his wife sent you. lol He might remember us, my hubby's a big tattooed guy, hard to forget in China. :)

Must walk-through: the old style street markets across the bridge, total experience not to miss
Get ready for: tons of bikes and cars coming up behind you as you walk through the alleys, you get out of the way, they don't

Home away from home comfort: Starbucks, coffee from home (don't drink the coffee at the Victory, warning you ahead of time), and nice cushy chairs that can be moved and used as make shift baby gates for a few moments to relax; also look for the quest book my hubby signed (Glenn), we're still waiting for someone to report back seeing it :)

Funny things to get used to hearing: the shop owners recognizing you and your family and asking how much longer you have on the island (they have the comings and goings done like a heart beat), people always asking you if this is your first child, are they a boy or girl (with all the head shaving in the summer)

Best places to shop: we really enjoyed the House of Love, right near the White Swan, they had really good deals and a large selection of children's clothes; also, the ladies are so used to the kids, they like to play with them while you shop, we also liked Andy's on the corner (I think there were like 3 or 4 Andy's)

Where to buy water: we bought water by the masses at the Andy's grocery store, right next door to the Victory we stayed at, don't remember the name but we bought the one with the large green upside down triangle top

Diapers: ok, don't expect Pampers there to be the quality of Pampers here, they were crap, no pun intended; if you have a good idea of your child's weight, I'd try to bring atleast a mega back from home, especially for night diapers

1 comment:

bathmate said...

Very good article.I think this site will do better in future.

thank you for your comments

Bathmate